![]()
I was watching the news this morning and saw a weather report on Hurricane Ike..I thought it was a pretty strange name so I started thinking about who the lucky people are that get to name the hurricanes. (I've been a little bored today...)
Gotta love the internet-if you like useless trivia like I do, here is what I found out...
"Since 1953, Atlantic tropical storms have been named from lists originated by the National Hurricane Center. They are now maintained and updated by an international committee of the World Meteorological Organization. The original name lists featured only women's names. In 1979, men's names were introduced and they alternate with the women's names. Six lists are used in rotation. Thus, the 2008 list will be used again in 2014. Here is more information about the history of naming hurricanes.
The only time that there is a change in the list is if a storm is so deadly or costly that the future use of its name on a different storm would be inappropriate for reasons of sensitivity. If that occurs, then at an annual meeting by the WMO committee (called primarily to discuss many other issues) the offending name is stricken from the list and another name is selected to replace it.
In the event that more than 21 named tropical cyclones occur in the Atlantic basin in a season, additional storms will take names from the Greek alphabet: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, and so on."
Kinda interesting eh? Did you know that every region has their own list of names??
Thursday, September 11, 2008
Useless trivia
Posted by Kent and Shan at 3:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
I love it!! This is the kindof stuff that I find interesting, thanks for doing the research :o). The picture is really cool too.
That is the kind of useless trivia that I love to know! I always remember the 'useless' trivia:)
yes you must be bored! what did we do before internet though? if you had asked yourself that same question just a few years ago it would have taken weeks to find out. mmmmmm...love the internet!
thnx shan, I wondered about that, what will you teach us next I wonder?
Post a Comment